|Title:||Public Information Officer|
Coordinates the various public affairs programs of the City of San Juan. Integrates the organization's communications and public relations programs and initiatives into a cohesive effort that conveys a consistent message in support of its mission, strategic goals, and objectives. Serves as strategic advisor to department directors with respect to communications and public affairs initiatives.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Initiates and oversees the establishment of integrated strategies, plans, and programs designed to ensure that all communication and public relations efforts are cohesive, consistent, and effective in supporting the mission and advancement goals of the organization.
- Plans, develops, directs, and coordinates comprehensive communication programs, to include media, public affairs and publications, in close collaboration with other institutional communications and/or public relations activities.
- Provides direct and proactive advice, consultation, and assistance to department directors, as well as the City of San Juan community, regarding public information matters, to include providing direct assistance in researching, providing information and developing messages.
- Serves as the designated spokesperson for the city and its affiliates, if applicable.
- Coordinates surveys, evaluations and assessments of external communications activities in order to determine the effectiveness of the organization's communications plans.
- Assures quality and appropriateness of institutional communication programs and initiatives, whether internally or externally produced.
- Represents the City of San Juan to various institutional divisions as well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, and/or the general public.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Computer, scanner, copier, binding machine, calculator, recording equipment, vehicle and other general office equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Individual works indoors in a well-lighted, air-conditioned office; however, may work outdoors for special projects or events. The job has no significant hazards and the physical demands are low.
Requires a Bachelor's degree required with an emphasis in communications with a minimum of one (1) year experience in a related field. Must be able to establish and implement cohesive communication and public relations strategies and plans on an institutional basis, knowledge and understanding of the mission, goals, and objectives of a major educational and research institution, skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures, strong strategic planning and management skills, knowledge of communication principles, media, and public relations techniques, outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community, employee development and performance management skills, Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational needs, and develop integrated, creative solutions, organizational planning, structuring, and staffing skills, skills in financial planning and fiscal management, ability to use independent judgment and to gather, manage and impart information to the media and various other internal and external audiences, experience communicating with the press and other media, strong knowledge of local and regional media contacts and/or a proven ability to develop such relationships quickly, ability to provide effective advice and counsel on strategic and/or critical communication issues and to exercise effective judgement, ability to write executive-level communications for internal and external audiences and demonstrate ability to maintain confidentiality. Requires excellent grammar, writing, organizational and communication skills. Must also be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, internet and email. Must have the ability to follow complex oral and written instructions and multi-task. Must possess a valid Texas driver’s license (Class C) with a satisfactory driving record. Must be bilingual (English/Spanish).